Jun 13, 2010

Oooh... pretty

I've been wanting to change the look of the site for a little while, because there were a lot of little things that bugged me about the old template.

It felt cramped, for starters, with only quite a thin column for the posts to appear in and a LOT of wasted space on either side, be it just empty or taken up by the overly large sidebar. Then, when the sidebar ran out (usualy after one or two posts, since I'm such a verbose fucker), you'd be stuck with just that thin column and loads of wasted space.

It didn't help, either, that that wasted space was all a single block of colour, after a while it was just a bit dull to look at, I thought.

The other thing that always bugged me was that the smallish post windows wouldn't allow me to use the bigger, higher quality, pictures I wanted to illustrate posts with, as anything over about 570px in width wouldn't centre properly, and therefore looked rather odd.

All in all it looked, I think, like what it was; an amateur blog designed solely by a writer. It served its purpose, but it sure wasn't pretty.

So I changed it. Blogger has new controls that let me, very simply, take a basic template and customise it. So now we've got a MUCH bigger post window (1000px wide), a smaller siderbar (260px) and a background that I, at least, find much easier to look at. I've already started making changes to some of the older posts. In particular you'll find bigger, bolder pictures. Among the smaller things there's a new font, and the new template seperates posts nicely day by day.

I really like this new look, but I'm always interested in what you guys think, so please comment on this post, or tweet me @24FPSUK and let me know what you like and what you don't as far as the new look goes. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment