Feb 1, 2013

A Month in Movies: January 2013

I keep a film diary over at Letterboxd.  The official count of films I saw in January (including a few shorts, but excluding films watched as submissions for the film festival  I'm helping to programme) was 51, of those, 31 were first viewings.  Here are some of the high and low points of the month's first time watches.

FILM(S) OF THE MONTH
What Richard Did and Zero Dark Thirty

WORST OF THE MONTH
Texas Chainsaw 3D


AWARDS

Best Actor: Jack Reynor - What Richard Did
Best Actress: Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Best Supporting Actor: Jason Clarke - Zero Dark Thirty
Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Washington - Django Unchained
Best Director: Lenny Abrahamson - What Richard Did
Best Original Screenplay: Malcolm Campbell - What Richard Did 
Best Adapted Screenplay: None I can think of this month (not exactly bowled over by Silver Linings Playbook
Biggest Surprise: The Last Stand
Biggest Disappointment: Break Up (the total reverse of everything I'd expected it to be, even Bridget Fonda is off form)
Most Fucked-Up Movie: Red Nights (in a good way)
“I’m Pretty Damn Sure No One Else Has Seen This”: Rough Magic (nor, sadly, should they)
Person/Character I Never Want to Meet: Carrie Chan (Carrie Ng) - Red Nights
“Why Is He/She Still in Movies?”: Director Tom Hooper - Les Miserables
Ultimate WTF? Moment: Man gets magically turned into a sausage - Rough Magic
Best Scene: Richard tells his Father what happened - What Richard Did / Opening murder - Red Nights
Best Line: The whole KKK scene - Django Unchained
Movie I Finally Got to Friggin’ See: Three Bridget Fonda movies I'd been chasing for ages; Break Up, Camilla and Rough Magic
Coolest Title: Fire in the Blood
Hottest Lady: Bridget Fonda - Break Up, Camilla and Rough Magic 

Thanks to my friend AJ Hakari for letting me use these categories, which he's been asking people to fill in at the Joblo forums for years.



No comments:

Post a Comment